LingLang Lunch (2/19/2020): Maksymilian Dąbkowski (Brown)

Maksymilian Dąbkowski is a senior student concentrating Linguistics at Brown Universty. This is a practice talk for West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics 36.

The morphophonology of A’ingae verbal stress

Stress assignment in A’ingae (or Cofán, isolate, ISO 639: con) is remarkably complex. In the first investigation into the nature of this complexity, I report on the existence of six distinct accentual patterns associated with verbal morphemes, propose that stress assignment is determined by a combination of phonological and morphological factors, and develop a formal analysis of the data.

I analyze A’ingae stress assignment as determined by factors from two domains: (i) phonological, where I propose a typologically unattested glottal accent assigned at the level of the prosodic foot, and (ii) morphological, with accentual specification of suffixal lexemes. By attributing a part of the observed complexity to independently motivated glottal accent, I reduce the number of distinct lexical specifications needed to explain the six distinct accentual patterns to four suffix types. I further analyze the four different suffix types as an interaction between two binary parameters that characterize each suffix: recessive vs. dominant; and plain vs. prestressing.

The analysis is carried out in the framework of Cophonology Theory, a restrictive Optimality Theoretic approach, which allows for a parsimonious account of complex patterns emergent from interactions between phonology and morphology.